Frequently Asked Questions and Answers on the SOLESTAR Cycling Insole
(To view the answer, click on the corresponding question)
I GENERAL QUESTIONS
1. How do SOLESTAR cycling insoles increase performance?
SOLESTAR cycling insoles bring the foot of the cyclist to the proper neutral position. This position has been proven to create more stability and power in cycling through better stabilization of the foot, ankle, knee and hip relative to the body by fixing the foot into a static position which does not allow pronation or supination.
2. Where can I buy SOLESTAR?
The sale of SOLESTAR cycling insoles is handled exclusively by our certified dealers. There is a list of all certified SOLESTAR dealers here: Dealers.
3. I ride both a mountain bike and road bike. Do I need separate pairs of SOLESTAR cycling insoles for my mountain bike as well as for my race shoes?
It is possible to use the SOLESTAR KONTROL ROAD without problems in both road and mountain bike shoes as long as they have the same fit. We also offer a MTB insole which has a cushioning top layer material that increases shock absorption which gives riders better damping and more comfort when it comes to uneven and rocky terrain.
4. Why are the SOLESTAR cycling insoles made from Black Fiber (KONTROL) or carbon (BLK / CUSTOM)?
The working principle of the SOLESTAR cycling insole is that the insole supports the best possible fixation of the foot with simultaneous preservation of its muscular function. The power transmission while cycling is supported by the rigid core material. At the same time everything that has to remain flexible for optimal and symptom-free movement while cycling remains flexible through the use of flexible materials. In addition, pressure peaks are omitted.
5. Do the SOLESTAR cycling insoles need a thermoplastic adaptation (heat molding) to align correctly with the feet?
No. A thermoplastic adaptation of the SOLESTAR cycling insoles is not necessary.
6. Are the SOLESTAR cycling insoles just for Pro’s?
SOLESTAR cycling insoles are for everyone who wants to increase his comfort and power output in cycling and wants to prevent future injuries due to over-stressing. As pro cyclists are constantly trying to improve their setup they were naturally among the first to find out about these new insoles.
7. What’s the difference between these and other cycling insoles?
There are other cycling insoles available, but the patented setup of the SOLESTAR cycling insoles with their Stabilization-Delta are unique. The difference is in the design of the insoles and their material. SOLESTAR is also designed and manufactured 100% in Germany.
8. How long does it take until I become used to the SOLESTAR cycling insoles?
The SOLESTAR cycling insoles corrects the typical, natural malposition of the foot in the shoe. This has an effect on the power transfer. The foot and the relevant body structures such as muscles, tendons and ligaments usually need some time to adapt. It may take four to five training sessions until your body has fully adjusted to the change which shows how strong the effect of SOLESTAR insoles on your biomechanics is.
9. Is there a scientific basis for the mode of action of SOLESTAR cycling insoles?
The SOLESTAR cycling insole is both, the result of modern scientific knowledge, but even more so of over 10 years years of testing with riders of all levels of performance. In July 2011, a study by the German Sport University Cologne was published showing that cyclists with SOLESTAR Carbon cycling insoles on average could achieve 6.9% more power in the sprint.
10. How long can you ride a SOLESTAR cycling insole?
The materials from which the SOLESTAR cycling insoles are made, designed and constructed that they absorb the energy during impact and then return on relief. At each step, the insole is in use. Therefore, the service life depends on the mileage, the body weight and the level of performance of the pedal stroke of each individual rider. An indication of the wear is a reduction of the original stiffness. An accurate assessment of whether your current SOLESTAR cycling insole is still operational can be given to you by your dealer.
11. Is it necessary to change something with my bike structure when using SOLESTAR cycling insoles?
With SOLESTAR your arch will be supported in order to keep it from collapsing. For almost all riders this will increase their leg length. For this reason, the saddle height needs to be raised by 2 - 5 mm on average. Therefore please check and adjust your saddle height before your first ride with SOLESTAR.
12. Is it necessary to remove the original insole from my cycling shoes when putting in the SOLESTAR cycling insole?
Yes, it is necessary to remove the factory insole from your cycling shoe. If not, the SOLESTAR cycling insole will not fit correctly and will not function accordingly.
13. Do SOLESTAR cycling insoles work with shims and wedges for the shoes?
It is necessary when installing the SOLESTAR cycling insoles to remove all shims and wedges from your cycling shoes. This is because the functionality of the SOLESTAR cycling insole incorporates all needed support and stabilization.
14. Can I ride SOLESTAR cycling insoles with shoes without cleats?
It is possible to ride SOLESTAR cycling insoles in shoes without cleats. However, it should be used in tightly-fitting shoes with as stiff a sole as possible.
15. How long does an adjustment of the SOLESTAR CUSTOM cycling insoles take?
For the first visit to your SOLESTAR CUSTOM dealer, from whom the diagnosis and measurement is carried out, you should allow up to an hour. The structure of the SOLESTAR CUSTOM cycling insole usually takes three to seven business days.
16. Where are my SOLESTAR cycling insoles produced?
Your SOLESTAR cycling insoles have been designed, developed and manufactured in Germany.
17. What is your return and refund policy?
We have a 6 week money-back guarantee, meaning that if a customer is not 100% satisfied and happy riding with our insoles, they can send them back and their money will be refunded. More information can be found here: SOLESTAR Guarantee.
II QUESTIONS ON TYPICAL SYMPTOMS
1. Are there different SOLESTAR cycling insoles for flat- or high-arched feet?
The low, mid and high arch concept is an insole design used with running insoles. In contrary to the flexibility needed to provide for the foot in running shoes, the situation in cycling couldn't be more different. In cycling there is only one position where the rider receives the most stable base and the optimum body statics. That is the neutral zero position of the foot. Therefore all SOLESTAR cycling insoles deliver a basis for the foot that will bring it into this optimum position, no matter if the foot has a low, mid or high arch. Depending on how strong your feet pronate or supinate, your body may need a few rides to adjust to.
2. I have discomfort during cycling. Should I use the individually tailored SOLESTAR CUSTOM cycling insole?
All SOLESTAR cycling insoles are structured so that they correct the position of and stabilize the foot simultaneously. Most problems arise from these misalignments. Should you have stronger orthopedic problems, such as pronounced asymmetries, the customized SOLESTAR CUSTOM cycling insoles are recommended.
3. I often have burning feet while cycling. Do the SOLESTAR cycling insoles help with this?
Often the feeling of burning feet is caused by a compression in the metatarsal head where nerves and blood vessels are compressed. In this case SOLESTAR counteracts the feeling of burning feet. After all, the very rigid SOLESTAR insole leaves little movement in the field of metatarsal head (forefoot) and therefore reduces the pressure on the congested structures.
4. How does the SOLESTAR cycling insole help with the presence extreme flat valgus foot?
The SOLESTAR CUSTOM cycling insole is designed so that depending on the individual clinical picture the necessary therapeutic adjustments can be made. In principle, all SOLESTAR cycling insoles are constructed so that a buckling of the foot is prevented by the strong support of the ankle. With strong orthopedic findings a customizable SOLESTAR CUSTOM should be taken into consideration.
5. I have had problems on the inside of the knee. How do the SOLESTAR cycling insoles help with cycling with a leg length difference?
SOLESTAR cycling insoles are able to compensate for differences in leg length through the establishment and stabilization of the ankle. For larger asymmetries the individual adjustment means of SOLESTAR CUSTOM cycling insoles is recommended. With this individual adjustment leg length difference, regardless of whether being an actual or functional leg length difference is present, can be compensated. Through these adjustments a uniform force for cycling and pressure distribution is achieved on both legs.
III MAINTENANCE QUESTIONS
1. How do you maintain the SOLESTAR cycling insole?
To clean your SOLESTAR KONTROL cycling insoles use a damp cloth and a little detergent. SOLESTAR cycling insoles cannot be washed in the washing machine. If your SOLESTAR KONTROL gets wet, remove it from the shoes and let them air dry.
2. What can damage the SOLESTAR cycling insole during use?
Pay attention to the screws which are used to secure the cleats to the pedals, as sharp edges can damage permanently your SOLESTAR cycling insoles.